The blind auditions are over and it’s time for battle to commence on The Voice. Here is the line-up and ten things to watch out for this Saturday in the first of two battle round episodes.
1. This year the coaches can steal two losing singers each rather than one. In the previous two seasons coaches have tended to use their steals early, including three out of four in last year’s first battle round. Expect a flurry of steals in this episode too.
2. One of the contestants brings their coach a present of underwear. (And no, it’s not Tom Jones.)
3. Another reveals they are deaf in one ear.
4. And a third shows Rita Ora a selfie they took with her a year previously.
5. Will.i.am refers to one singer as “a doctor of music”.
6. One of the coaches is (accidentally) punched in the nose by one of their team members.
7. Tom admits he has never met one of the biggest names in pop music from the 1970s and 1980s, one of whose songs is performed by two members of Ricky Wilson‘s team.
8. One of the coaches bemoans one of their pairings’ rehearsal session as “probably the sloppiest session” they’ve ever been part of in their life.
9. Continuing the tradition of including songs from musicals and operas, one of the coaches chooses a song from Cats to close the show.
10. This week’s instalment of Will.i.am’s Wacky Metaphors sees him talking about jungle predators and marshmallows. Not at the same time, though.
This week’s pairings
Joyful Soundz versus Newtion Matthews
Brooklyn versus Rozzy
Lucy O’Byrne versus Karl Loxley
Christina Matovu versus Jade Hewitt
Hannah Symons versus Shellyann
Stevie McCrorie versus Tim Arnold
Joe Woolford versus Ryan Green
Olivia Lawson versus Clark Carmody
Mitch Miller versus Morven Brown
Claudia Rose versus Rosa Iamele
Sharon Murphy versus Roisin Geraghty-McDonagh
Howard Rose versus Stephaine Webber